Whether you’ve been a dedicated makeup enthusiast or you are someone who’s just starting out with makeup, when it comes to the eyes, makeup can be a little tricky. There’s no harm in having a few tricks up your sleeve so you can work that magic and achieve eye makeup that is so on-point. We’ve put together a list of 25 simple eye makeup tips for all the beginners out there who have been overwhelmed by all that they come across in the world of makeup.
Worry not, we’ve got your back! Just keep these simple tips on top of your mind when you’re doing your eyes, and you will go straight from being a novice to a Pro.
Simple Eye Makeup Tips For Beginners
- Eyeliner Tips
- Mascara Tips
- Eyeshadow Tips
- Eyebrow Tips
1. Eyeliner Tips
Eyeliner may or may not be a staple for you, but it is one of the most basic steps of doing your eye makeup. It gives you the freedom to work on the shape of your eyes, emphasize them and fill in any sparse looking lashes. It depends on the texture of the eyeliner and your preference as to how you’d like to apply this – clearly defined or smudged – it looks great either ways.
Let’s take a quick look at some of the tips and techniques for this step.
- Ensure your eyelids are clean and then apply a primer on them, so the eye makeup does not smudge and stays on for longer.
- To make your eyelashes look denser, apply the eyeliner as close to the lashline as possible so it appears to be a part of your natural lash line. This is called tight-lining. Make a dotted line from the outer to the inwards corner and connect the dots (you can use a stiff slant brush to blend the dots out into an effortless soft line).
- Make sure the tip of your liner is thin but blunt to achieve precision and so you get the perfect shape. You can also freeze your eyeliner before sharpening to keep it from crumbling.
- To accomplish the perfect winged eyeliner, use a liquid liner – start on the lash line at the pupil and work your way towards the corners. If your hand is not steady enough for liquid liner then first line your eyes with a pencil liner, then trace over it with your liquid liner.(If you’re in a rush, you should just skip the liquid liner in your best interest!)
- To accomplish a smoky eye, opt for a pencil liner as these tend to be softer and creamier. Also, you can smudge it out using a smudging brush for that effortlessly cool smoky eye.
- As you age, opt for more subtle colors like brown for a more elegant look and apply mascara to complement the simple look.
2. Mascara Tips
Don’t you agree that mascara completely transforms your eyes, giving you that extra oomph? The magical mascara wand makes you look bright-eyed and youthful. It’s a total game changer and the only kind of drama that I like.
Here are some important tips for bang-on mascara application.
7. Always start applying your mascara from the roots of your lashes and wiggle your way to the tips. 8. Doing this instantly voluminizes your lashes and does not weigh them down.
9. After applying one coat of mascara, wait for about ten seconds to go in with a second coat (if desired). This way, your lashes don’t get clumpy!
10. Wipe off excess mascara from the wand on a tissue before applying, so it’s easy to maneuver and won’t clump (you will also avoid the horrid spidery-lashes look).
11. Before you go in with mascara, always make sure to curl your lashes using a high-quality eyelash curler. When you go in with curling, pinch your eyelash curler at last base and hold it tightly rotating upwards.
12. The way you hold your mascara matters! Hold your wand horizontally for thicker lashes and vertically (especially for the lower lashes) for a more natural look.If you want to make your mascara last longer, then stop pumping the wand while pulling it out (this way you are only sending in the air to dry the product out), just swirl it to prevent it from drying out.
3. Eyeshadow Tips
Eyeshadow does the job of adding depth and giving dimension to your eyes. If it’s applied correctly, it makes your eyes look bigger and helps accentuate your eye color. Want some tips?
13. Invest in high-quality products and brushes. They will go a long way besides ensuring proper application and blending.
14. If you want your eyeshadow to stay put all day and not crease besides wanting the eyeshadow color to really pop out – use a good primer before you go in with the eye shadow.
On the other hand, if you want to make a less pigmented eyeshadow look vibrant and poppy, cover your eyelid with a white eyeliner first. This helps to cancel out the color of your skin and it creates an even base for your eyeshadow.
15. For the bottom area of your eye (that is just near the lash line) – use a dark shade of eyeshadow, for the area above that, use a medium shade and for the top, use a light shade and blend them well.
4. Eyebrow Tips
Eye Makeup Tips For Beginners – Eyebrow TipsPinit
Eyebrows are often underrated, and I can’t begin to stress how important they are to provide a structure to your face. Well groomed brows are indeed a game changer, they frame the eyes and they drastically ‘up’ your beauty quotient. If you are someone who has over-plucked them, then worry not, because just a little bit of added definition will make a big impact!
Want some tips?
16. There are various brow products available in the market. Pick a shade that best suits you hair color and fill in any gaps using the product.
17. The most important thing to remember while defining your eyebrows is to keep the look as natural as possible. For this – make sure to blend the product out properly to avoid any harsh lines and such.
18. Use a subtle highlighter right beneath the brow, under your arch to show off the shape and to add height to your brows.
19. If your eyebrows are out of control, use an eyebrow gel to keep them in place. They also tend to look a lot better and groomed with just a little bit of that gel.
20. Do you want to know the best trick in the book? For a bolder look, use an angled stiff brush and wet it before you fill your brows in with matte brown eyeshadow.
5. Few More Eye Makeup Tips For Beginners
21. To avoid your base from ruining due to eyeshadow fall-out, finish your eye makeup first and then proceed with the base to ensure your makeup looks fresh.
22. If you are planning to wear loud eye makeup, keep the lips subtle. It’s always best to emphasize one feature at a time.
23. To make your eyes look brighter and youthful, highlight the inner corner of the eyes with a light color of eyeshadow.
24. If you want to instantly curl your stubborn lashes, use a blow-dryer on your curler (ensure it’s not too hot) before you curl them – this way, they will stay curled for longer.
25. If you’ve got excess product, say eyeshadow, use a blotting paper to remove the excess eyeshadow without disturbing the eyeliner.
Those were some really simple eye makeup tips and hacks for every beginner out there who has been overwhelmed by the world of makeup. These tips cover all the basics and hopefully, you will keep some of these pointers in mind the next time you’re doing your makeup.
Now that you have some tricks and techniques of how to put these products on, it’s time you learned a thing or two about how to remove eye makeup too. It’s critical for you to take off every bit of makeup at the end of the day to ensure your eyes and skin remain healthy. There are a lot of ways to remove waterproof, stubborn makeup. Let’s look at a few easy ways to remove eye makeup.
How To Remove Eye Makeup?
Method 1: Removing Eye Makeup Using Eye Makeup Remover
If you are investing in makeup products, please ensure to pick up a high-quality makeup remover. This is the most popular way to remove your makeup. However, besides this, there are other ways like using coconut oil or some baby shampoo.
Please don’t use your face wash to remove your eye makeup. The eye area is rather sensitive, and this will only result in dryness and your lashes falling out.
- Before you hit the wash-basin to remove your makeup with water…wait! Use wet wipes to remove all your makeup before you actually wash your face.
- Don’t rub or apply too much pressure while you are going in with the wipes. Use minimum pressure and gently wipe away.
- You can use a cotton ball and dab some eye makeup remover and wipe with it as well.
- In case you run out of makeup remover or want to use something more natural, just take some coconut oil between your hands and slather it across your face and eyes, leave it on for a while and then gently remove all traces of the oil using a cotton pad.
In case you do not have coconut oil, you can also use olive oil, almond oil or petroleum jelly to take off your eye makeup)
5. Use a gentle cleanser to wash your face.
6. Dab on some toner to close the pores, moisturize and dab on some under eye cream to provide relief to the region.
Method 2: Removal of Eye Makeup Using Baby Shampoo?
- Remove makeup from the rest of your face.
- Splash water on your face, concentrating on your eyes. Pour some baby shampoo onto your palm and work out a rich lather.
- Apply this on your eye and make to and fro motions.
- Splash water again to remove the soap content.
Repeat if required.
- Wash your face using a mild face wash.
- Follow your CTM routine – it’s essential to use a toner after washing your face, as it helps close the pores and makes skin healthier. A toner is also known to reduce blemishes.
Dab on a good moisturizer.
- An under eye cream makes the skin supple and helps you avoid eye bags and dark circles.Remember, the baby shampoo might not be effective where long stay eye makeup products have been used.
Also read – How to remove eye makeup using Vaseline?
Those were some easy methods to remove eye makeup. Hope you found them informative and try at least one of them the next time you are taking off your makeup. If you are a beginner, we hope these eye makeup tips will help you out and if you are a pro, you have some more tricks up your sleeve. You may share some of your personal tips down in the comments below!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Q. How long does eye shadow last?
A. This purely depends on the method you used to apply the eyeshadow, your skin type, and the weather. If you have oily skin and you live in a hot climatic zone, your eyeshadow will probably melt into the creases quicker. The best way to make sure that it stays on for a long time is to use a primer. A primer prevents any creasing and helps the makeup last longer
Q. How to get fuller lashes?
A. If you’re looking for a quick fix, you can tight-line your eyes and use an eyelash curler and a volumizing mascara. But if you’re looking for something for the long run, you can try applying olive oil or castor oil to your lashes. Take care not to get any in your eyes.
Q. How long can you keep the eyeshadow?
A. Where makeup is concerned, try to wash off your makeup after 8-12 hours. When it comes to shelf life, a cream eyeshadow can be kept for 12 months and a powder eyeshadow for 2 years. In case you develop an infection, visit a doctor and dispose of the product that caused the infection.
Q. How to hide under eye bags?
A. Use a concealer under the bags of your eyes instead of concealing the actual bags. Concealing the bags will only make it stand out. Use a night cream, drink plenty of water, and get a good night’s sleep.